Moving to San Diego…
San Diego is one of the best places to live with nearly perfect weather year-round, stunning scenery, trendy eateries, popular burger joints, notable fine dining establishments, an unrivaled craft brewery scene, amazing beaches, plenty of fun activities (such as the world-famous San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, Legoland, and Balboa Park… just to name a few) and the Southern California lifestyle.
Where to move to? Things to consider:
- What is my budget?
- Where is my job located?
- Are schools important to you? https://www.greatschools.org/
- How far of a commute do I want? http://trafficpredict.com/current_traffic/?location=san-diego
- Do I want to be close to the beach? Generally, the closer to the beach the smaller and more expensive the house.
- Do I want an old home or a newer one (that question alone will eliminate some areas or highlight others)?
There are many diverse communities that attract different people for various reasons (it is best to talk to your real estate advisor about the different communities in San Diego, they are all so different and special for their own reasons). The following links provide a glimpse into San Diego neighborhoods. However, the best way to get to know an area is spend some time there, look at some homes, grab food and get a feel for the area.
Beach Communities from South (close to Mexico) to North (bordering Camp Pendleton)
- Imperial Beach - http://www.imperialbeachca.gov/
- Coronado - https://www.coronado.ca.us/
- Point Loma - Explore Point Loma
- Ocean Beach - https://oceanbeachsandiego.com/
- Mission Beach - https://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/mb
- Pacific Beach - http://pacificbeach.org/
- La Jolla - https://www.lajolla.com/
- Del Mar - http://www.delmar.ca.us/
- Solana Beach - http://www.ci.solana-beach.ca.us/
- Cardiff by the Sea - http://www.cardiff101.com/
- Encinitas - http://www.ci.encinitas.ca.us/
- Carlsbad - https://visitcarlsbad.com/; City of Carlsbad
- Oceanside - https://www.ci.oceanside.ca.us/
North County Inland
- Carmel Valley - https://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil/cd1/communities/carmelvalley
- Rancho Penasquitos - Rancho Penasquitos - Community Profile
- Poway - https://poway.org/
- Escondido - https://www.escondido.org/
- San Marcos - http://www.san-marcos.net/
Metro San Diego
- Downtown San Diego - Downtown San Diego
- North Park - http://www.explorenorthpark.com/
- South Park - http://www.southparksd.com/
- Mission Hills - Tripsavvy.com – Mission Hills
- Hillcrest - https://www.fabuloushillcrest.com/
- Normal Heights - https://www.normalheights.org/
- University Heights - http://uhsd.org/
- Kensington - Tripsavvy.com - Kensington
- Talmadge - https://talmadge.org/
- El Cerrito - https://www.sandiego.gov/citycouncil/cd9/neighborhoods/elcerrito
- Rolando - http://rolandocc.org/p-14497-rolando-history.html
- Chula Vista - http://www.chulavistaca.gov/
- Bonita - http://www.city-data.com/city/Bonita-California.html
- National City - http://www.nationalcityca.gov/
More Helpful Resources
Once you know San Diego will be your new home, here are some resources that are helpful:
- California Driver’s License Information - DMV
- USPS – Change of Address Form
- San Diego Dog Beaches and Parks
- Balboa Park
- San Diego Zoo
- Seaworld San Diego
- Legoland – California Resort
- San Diego County Farmers’ Markets
- Walk Score – Just put in an address, neighborhood or city and find out what you can walk to: restaurants, coffee shops, grocery stores, schools, parks and more.
- Area Vibes – Find the Best Places to Live
- San Diego Crime Maps – Up-to-Date Crime Info
Contact Claudia Gramm, your San Diego County Relocation Specialist for information about buying a home in San Diego County.
Broker/Owner Copernicus International Realty – http://copernicusrealty.com/